The Junior NBA World Championship has commenced and is due to end on Sunday, August 11 in Orlando, Florida with representatives from Africa making it to the annual tournament.
This year’s edition is the second ever world competition and has ten players representing Africa in the Girls and Boys Divisions respectively.
Unsurprisingly, players from Senegal and Nigeria dominate the list of teams with Egypt and Cameroon featuring heavily as well.
Two Cameroonians Michel Said Nkene and Marouf Moumine are returning to the competition after playing in last year’s edition. They are the only returnees in the Male Division.
Moumine won the Determination Award in last year’s competition and earned himself a place in the NBA Academy in Senegal.
Kadidia Traore from Mali and Sandrine Kagmain from Cameroon are returning to the competition in the Girls Division and expected to compete against select teams from other continents.
Below is a full list of player for Africa’s Girls and Boys Teams:
AFRICA TEAM GIRLS ROSTERS
1. Sandrine Whitney Kamgain (Cameroon)
2. Penge Lesline Salim (DRC)
3. Jana Ehab (Egypt)
4. Shaza Ayman (Egypt)
5. Kadidia Traore (Mali)
6. Aisha Nhantumbo (Mozambique)
7. Merit Atebe Innocent (Nigeria)
8. Badmus Mistura Bisola (Nigeria)
9. Fatou Binetou Cisse (Senegal)
10. Ndeye Astou Ndiaye (Senegal)
AFRICA TEAM BOYS ROSTERS
1. Marouf Moumine (Cameroon)
2. Said Nkene F. Michel (Cameroon)
3. Ngeleka Kabeya (DRC)
4. Dieu Merci Bolisomi Ilonga (DRC)
5. Badara Aliou Diakite (Mali)
6. Hassan Hesham Amer (Nigeria)
7. Emmanuel Owonibi (Nigeria)
8. Khadim Yassoul Diongue (Senegal)
9. Limamoulaye Faye (Senegal)
10. Babacar Djiby Ly (Senegal)
By Yaw Adjei-Mintah
@YawMintYM on Twitter